RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Monday, February 17, 2014

I was visiting with some people at church whom I hadn't seen for a while. We attend the 10:30 a.m. service, they probably go to the 8 a.m. service. So it was good to touch base with them. The woman--I'll call her Gloria because that's her name--has worked at the Des Moines Playhouse for a number of years, so whenever I see her, I get up to date on what's playing on the main stage at the theater. I like just about everything the Playhouse does, and we've been season ticketholders for the greater part of the past 55 years. We're doing it on a one-show-at-a-time basis now, so I asked Gloria and Art [he's married to Gloria] what was presently on the main stage. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," Art said. "That sounds like something I'd know about," I said with a laugh. "You're right about that," Art said. "You'd be right at home watching that play. You no doubt worked with a lot of people who had, or still have, the same personalities of the cast in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." I'm pretty sure Art was referring to the newspaper office downtown that was, and still is, pretty much a nuthouse. Well, we did see the 1975 movie version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest that starred Jack Nicholson as the goofy Randle Patrick "Mac" McMurphy and Louise Fletcher as the ridiculous Nurse Ratched. The 17-night [and some days] stage version of Cuckoo at the Playhouse ended Sunday, but we weren't able to get there because there have been so many things going on this winter. Maybe next time. Anyway, it was good seeing and talking with Gloria and Art.