RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

It's been a busy Saturday already, and there's still plenty of the day and night left. I've had my 2-mile indoor walk, but still need to do a session on the stationary bicycle before heading to Valley High School for the Tigers' girls' regional basketball game against Urbandale. I didn't watch a lot of the Iowa-Wisconsin game on TV. I had too many other things on my agenda. Besides, it was a game like lots of others. It was decided in the last 2 minutes. Maybe the last minute. I'm not sure if the 15,400 fans in Carver-Hawkeye Arena at Iowa City on Be Bold, Wear Gold day didn't come through with their card stunt or what. Maybe not enough sportswriters wore their gold clothing. Maybe Iowa got outplayed and outhustled by Wisconsin, as former Hawkeye assistant coach Bruce Pearl said on ESPN a minute or two after the Hawkeyes lost to Wisconsin, 79-74. I didn't see enough of the game to know if Pearl was correct in saying the team representing his old place of business was guilty of those infractions. Of course, Pearl doesn't have to be diplomatic these days. ESPN, not Iowa, signs his paychecks now. Well, maybe he's still getting money from a buyout. too, after being fired at Tennessee a while back. I do know Iowa has now lost three times in its last four games at home, and you don't win a Big Ten championship by doing that. I'd think the Hawkeyes would be mighty hungry to seize a regular-season title--something no Iowa team has done since the 1979 squad tied Michigan State for first place. Hell, that was so long ago that I was writing newspaper stories about the Hawkeyes then. Those were the days, of course, when I was becoming coach Lute Olson's favorite sportswriter. I know that for a fact because Olson devoted an entire page to me many years later when he wrote a book about himself. I guess I'd better get a little closer to the 2014 Hawkeyes, and find out how I can get things turned around over there now--especially in these home games they keep losing.