RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Friday, February 14, 2014

There Are Lots Of Coldiron Crazies Among the Valley High School Girls' Basketball Corwd, and I'm One Of 'Em


Valley team captains visited Bill Coldiron on Friday to give him and his family Coldiron Crazies T-shirts. Photo courtesy of @VHSGirlsBB on Twitter.


Photo by Ron Maly


By RON MALY

I was preparing to head to the Bill Coldiron Fieldhouse at Valley High School earlier this week for the Tigers' girls' basketball game against Waukee. 

Before leaving home, my son texted me to say he had just bought several COLDIRON CRAZIES T-shirts outside of the gym. 
Photo by Ron Maly

One was for me, and I'll be wearing it tonight when Valley ends its regular season with a game against Urbandale. 

It'll be Senior Night, so there will plenty of emotion in the fieldhouse when Valley goes for its 20th victory of the season.

I heard about the COLDIRON CRAZIES T- shirts a couple of weeks ago, and noticed a number of Valley fans wearing them during the girls' games. 

On the front of the $10 gray shirt, it says. VALLEY BASKETBALL  NEVER STOPS. 

On the back is the message, COLDIRON CRAZIES.  

When I got to the gym the other night and my son handed me my T-shirt, I began wondering how many people around here know who Bill Coldiron is. 

I mean, his name is on both scoreboards in the gym, and now it's on the back of some T-shirts that people are wearing at girls' basketball games, but I was asking myself if many of the folks who attend the games actually know about Bill Coldiron. 

I do because a couple, or maybe all three, of my sons took summertime golf lessons from him many years ago when he was teaching and coaching at Valley. 

Lots of other people took golf lessons from Coldiron many years ago, too--something that makes him very proud and happy.

Coldiron was the coach of some outstanding golf teams at Valley. 

So outstanding, in fact, that the fieldhouse where the Tigers play their basketball games was named after him.

Unusual, isn't it, that a basketball arena is named after a golf coach and not a basketball coach? 

I think so. 

I do remember going to Valley basketball games in the fieldhouse a long time ago when my kids were kids.

Coldiron was teaching and coaching at Valley in those years, and he'd be wearing a bright orange blazer [Valley's colors are orange and black] while maintaining order in the student seating areas.

Anyway, I asked during Valley's victory over Waukee earlier this week if anyone had seen Bill Coldiron lately. 

He's been retired for many years, and someone said he spends his winters in Arizona. 

So yesterday, I began looking for a way to contact Coldiron to let him know what was going on in the fieldhouse named after him. 

I found a phone number for him, and called it. 

When Coldiron answered, he was in West Des Moines, not Arizona. 

"I didn't go to Arizona this winter, I stayed right here in snowy Iowa," he said. 

Bill said he's now 80 years of age, and I got the idea he wasn't aware that there now are T-shirts available with his name on the back of them. 

"You're probably aware that Valley has a 19-1 girls' record, right?" I said to him. 

"I know they're good," he said.

[UPDATE: Valley's team captains presented Coldiron and his family with some COLDIRON CRAZIES T-shirts today.  Photo at the top of this column.]
  
Coldiron said he hasn't seen the Tigers play a game all season.

I've been thinking it would be nice if he could sit on the bench during a game, especially if Valley makes it to the state girls' tournament, which has been a goal of the players all season. 

The photo below this column shows Valley's players with Wells Fargo Arena in downtown Des Moines in the background. 

That's where the Tigers want to advance to in the upcoming weeks. 

"Go, Tigers!" Coldiron said when I thanked him for the visit on the phone.

I echo that comment.


Photo courtesy of Facebook