RON MALY HAS BEEN WATCHING THE PARADE GO BY FOR A LONG TIME. THIS IS ONE OF HIS WEBSITES.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

It was good catching up with Pam and Reid Allen, a couple of my longtime friends, on Free Pie Day at Village Inn. Reid spent a lot of years as Drake's athletic ticket manager, and I'd always have fun in the old days talking with him about the attendance figures at the Bulldogs' basketball home games. You perhaps weren't aware of it, but when it comes to attendance at athletic events in major college athletics, the so-called 'official' numbers given out are occasionally fictional. But not at Drake when Reid was the man in charge, that is. At some venues, you never know if the figures include season ticketholders who don't actually show up for the games. people called 'walk-ups' who buy tickets on the day or night of games, or if generous estimates are made by ticket managers to keep their bosses happy. As far as I was concerned, Reid Allen's attendance figures were the most accurate of any in Division I athletics. He was, and still is, a straight shooter. But selling tickets to football and basketball games and the Drake Relays wasn't Allen's only interest. Reid and Pam are veteran birdwatchers, and they helped introduce me to that interesting activity a number of years ago. I was always on the lookout for offbeat subjects to write about, and certainly found one in birdwatching. I accompanied a large number of folks, including Pam and Reid, on a birdwatching expedition in central Iowa, and it made for a nice story. I didn't save a copy of what I wrote, but Pam and Reid told me they still have the clipping. They said they'd look it up and refresh my memory on what I wrote. Pam and Reid joined me and Mike Mahon, the restaurant guru and retired sports information guy at Drake, at this week's Free Pie Day. I had some sort of chocolate pie, and it was darn good. So was my Dark Roast coffee. Reid picked up the tab [the coffee wasn't free] for the entire group, and I thank him. It was great seeing everyone.



             Birdwatching:  The vibrant Coppersmith Barbet can be seen in banyan trees. Photo by Ramki Sreenivasan/Conservation India. Courtesy of The Hindu.com

*

I got through this morning's paper in a hurry. 

Three or 4 minutes tops.

Fans in central Iowa of the Winter Olympics--all 3 of them--may or may not enjoy Bryce Miller's postcard from Russia.

The editors played it accurately. 

It was buried on page 8--the last page in the sports section.

I haven't yet seen Miller's video  tour on the paper's website showing a typical media hotel room.

I doubt anyone else has either.

Somehow, I don't think readers give a damn about looking at pictures of a hotel room.

I think Sean Keeler, a former sports columnist at the paper, took videotape of the media headquarters at an event a number of years, then was fired by his bosses after returning to Des Moines.

Which proves one thing: A good way to get canned is to put pictures on the Internet showing what you did and where you stayed while spending the company's money. 

*

Maybe you didn't know this:

The scientific name for a birdwatcher is ornithologist.